Re: CSS1 compliance/support (was Re: @version rule)

* Tantek Celik wrote:
>As measured by the W3C CSS1 Test Suite (the only official valid way to
>measure compliance to CSS1 -

I don't see any normative reference to the CSS Level 1 test suite in the
CSS Level 1 recommendation, so I won't call it "official" or "valid".

>unless you have a better suggestion),

I think it is impossible to create a test suite that is able to cover
all aspects for CSS Level compliance.

>IE6/Windows has full CSS Level 1 compliance, just as IE5/Mac did when it
>shipped over a year ago,

As of build 2479 it doesn't support e.g.

  option { text-align: right }

Mozilla 2001071004 does, but only in the pulldown menu, the current
selection is still left-aligned, same applies to the color property,
while IE6 get's it right and displays even the current selection in
the requested color. Both don't support borders for the tr element,
while CSS Level 1 says, it applies to all elements, on the contrary,
both support the background property for this element. IE6 doesn't
normalize white-space in font-family names, e.g.

  p { font-family: Arial Unicode MS }

works, while

  p { font-family: Arial  Unicode MS }

or

  p { font-family: Arial
Unicode MS }

doesn't. Mozilla supports this. IE 6 accepts the underscore in CSS Level
1 identifiers, while CSS Level 1 and CSS Level 2 [1] forbid this, same
for the Mozilla build. Mozilla allows IDs and ID selectors to start with
digits, this is a bug for both, the HTML parser and the CSS module, IE 6
get's it right and ignores it. I'm sure there are lot's of ofter things
that make both _non-compliant_. It's very sad to see that IE 6 doesn't
even support the abbr element nor styles applied to that element.

In general, I'd happily report each bug I find, but as for Mozilla my
bugs aren't fixed and as for the Internet Explorer my mails to
wasp@microsoft.com and one other address, I can remember now get ignored
and the current IE 6 bug report form doesn't work, i.e. I don't get any
feedback, nor were the reported bugs fixed. The same goes by the way for
Opera, but I've only reported one bug to them, maybe I've just hit the
wrong day...

[1] pre _and_ post current errata, since the errata didn't change
    section 4.1.3, see my try to discuss this and the report on 25th may
    this year on this list; btw.: appendix B must be changed, too; it's
    very obvious, that it wasn't intended to exclude the underscore...
    and yes, I'm somewhat disappointed that my report got ignored.

PS: Don't get me wrong, Internet Explorer 6 is a great step forwared,
    but this step should have been made in IE 4 or at least IE 5; we'll
    soon celebrate CSS Level 1's 5th birthday; I had suspected IE 6 to
    support all mandatory features of CSS Level 2 or at least all
    selectors.