Re: CSS2 errata - border backgrounds

Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, fantasai wrote:
> > Bert Bos wrote:
> >> An erratum for 14.2 already exists.
> >
> > Is there a reason why it does not change this?

> > cite="http://www.w3.org/TR/1998/REC-CSS2-19980512/colors.html#propdef-background-image">
> > If a background image is specified, this property specifies
> > whether the image is repeated (tiled), and how. All tiling
> > covers the content and padding areas of a box.
>
> Why should it?

Because it's inconsistent to apply one type of background only to
the padding edge while the other kind of background stretches to
the border edge. It should be either all one or all the other.

The 'background-attachment' definition also needs to be changed.

In all, there will be five changes to the CSS2 spec for this--
six if you want to redefine 0 0 as the top left of the border
edge. (This is not necessary, and I don't particularly recommend
it.)