From: www-style-request@w3.org [mailto:www-style-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Svgdeveloper@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2001 3:13 PM
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: Cellspacing in CSS1 or CSS2

mjohnson@marcdavidjohnson.com writes:

Saw this message (and another about cellspacing / centering / etc.) and
thought I'd whip up a VERY quick page.

http://www.marcdavidjohnson.com/centest.htm

This page uses 4 images, text, etc. and NO TABLES (tables should be
reserved
for laying out data, not for laying out a page). CSS has the ability to
'kiss' (push elements together) images, divs, etc. as you can see by the

source of the page. Now, if anyone has any questions about the code or
needs
the example expanded in scope, let me know.

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply. However my question was about cellspacing in
tables.

The use which lay behind the question was, as it happens, for laying out
data
in a table. I take it from your reply that neither CSS1 nor CSS2 can
cope
with this.

I see no reason why a table influenced by CSS rules should fail to
implement
the control which the corresponding HTML attributes provides. It should
be
possible to display data in tables in a manner which the designer
wishes.

Tony Haddon's post would seem to confirm that this functionality has
indeed
been omitted. But it would be nice to have an answer from someone on the
W3C
CSS WG about the background to this seeming omission. If you, Marc, are
on
the WG please forgive my not being aware of that.

Andrew Watt