Re: absolute positioning-scheme: 9.3.1

From: Clover Andrew <aclover@1value.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 11:32:00 +0200
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Manos Batsis <m.batsis@bsnet.gr> wrote:

> [setting 'left' and 'right' but not 'width', and similarly for
>  height]

> Well it does not work. The div is occupying just the space it's inner
> text needs (in IE). Is this rendering correct?

No. It should work as you expected, and does so under Mozilla. Opera
gets the vertical dimensions right but not the horizontal ones (which
surprised me).

It's a shame this doesn't work in IE as it's essential for liquid
layouts.

Oh, and please direct future authoring questions to
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets. ;-)

PS. Jonathan - your test code works fine in IE. It'll not work in N4,
    where each 'position: absolute' element is treated in many ways
    as a separate document. Why it doesn't work in Moz I don't know;
    interestingly 'position: relative' is fine. Might be worth filing
    a bug.

--
Andrew Clover
Technical Consultant