Re: Stretchy backgrounds? (background-width,height properties)

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 18:29:39 +0200
To: Manos Batsis <m.batsis@bsnet.gr>
CC: www-style@w3.org

Manos Batsis wrote:

> [...]

Oh - those! Yes, they are proprietary. SVG filters, which is what I
thought you were talking about, are non proprietary, fuly described, and
can be implemented by anyone without secret knowledge or reverse
engineering.

> AFAIK, although submitted to W3C,

No, they were never a submission to W3C

> they where not
> seriously considered

They were, however, seriously considered, then rejected

> due to luck of serious documentation and probably
> tight dependence with the windows OS.

Yes. And I got an action item to see whether the SVG filters would
work,and they do, but currently the CSS WG is reluctant to generalize
them into CSS3 it seems.

--
Chris