Re: Stretchy backgrounds? (background-width,height properties)

Ian Hickson wrote:

> However, like I said, the issue is still open. (Personally I hope that
> the way opacity is done in SVG is what we use for CSS [1].)
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/masking.html#ObjectAndGroupOpacityProperties

Ian, I remember briefly discussing with you on IRC one evening that the
major problem I have with opacity as implemented in Mozilla
(-moz-opacity) is legibility of text. As each element only has one
opacity value text becomes as transparent as its background and often
becomes very hard to read.

My comment to you at the time, which you seemed to broadly see value in,
was that a minimum baseline where one allowed seperate opacity for
foreground and background colours. I guess I'd just like to reiterate in
this forum, that in my opinion, that's the minimum we need from CSS3 for
opacity to be useful.

say something like:

p.foo { background: red; background-opacity: 0.25; colour: white;
color-opacity: 0.9; }  ??maybe this should be text-opacity??

Personally, I'd like to be able to write percentages, as I find these
much more natural for expressing opacities.

It would seem obvious to me that everything in CSS which can have a
seperate colour (except maybe the background of the page body as many
windowing systems simply can't implement it) should also be able to have
a separate opacity.

That would mean border-opacity should exist also.

I'm not sure how one would write: border: thin solid blue "0.25 opaque" though...

The SVG stuff looks very powerful - gradients would be very cool indeed
- but if it comes to a choice between functional and simple and SVG
sophistication but not making the next version of the spec...

--
AndyT (lordpixel)