Re: Stretchy backgrounds? (background-width,height properties)

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 20:05:17 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
To: Stuart Ballard <sballard@netreach.com>
cc: Jelks Cabaniss <jelks@jelks.nu>, <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Stuart Ballard wrote:

> (In combination with something like Mozilla's XBL, this would be a
> wonderful way to do a standards-compliant alternative to MS's "smart
> tags":
>
> html.css:
>
> #xpointer(string-range(//body,"Open Source") {
>   -moz-binding:
> url("chrome://navigator/content/smarttags.xml#opensource");
> }
> a.smarttag { color: green };
>
> smarttags.xml:
>
> <binding id="opensource">
>   <content>
> class="smarttag"><children/></html:a>
>   </content>
> </binding>
>
> Of course, we should make sure that it's the *user* that gets to specify
> these, not some arbitrary person, even if it's a nice arbitrary
> person...)

No need to use XPointers in selectors or proprietary technologies like
XBL. Extended XLinks do exactly what you just proposed.

   http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/

--
Ian Hickson                                            )\     _. - ._.)   fL
Invited Expert, CSS Working Group                     /. `- '  (  `--'