Re: activel inks?

At 2001-07-04T22:04-0400, AMollah wrote:-

> There are also all the different types of url (ftp, mailto, https etc) where
> it might aid navigation if css could be used to differentiate them. ""

This you certainly can [sc. will be able to] do, provided that you aren't
going to be serving the same style sheet under different URI schemes, or
that you use only absolute URIs. E.g.: [href^="ftp:"]. In fact, in simple
cases, you can even use this to distinguish between absolute and relative
URIs, and therefore between "internal" and "external" links. (I am not
arguing that this is a nice way to do it, just pointing out that it will
often work.)

> DJW wrote:
>
> "> From: Tim Bagot [SMTP:tsb-w3-style-0003@earth.li]
> >
> > How about [href^="#"] ?
> >
>  [DJW:]  Which would highlight all of the dead links
>  created by certain common web site generation tools
>  to keep pages with everything done with onclick seeming
>  valid :-(.  (One ore more packges generates href="#" for
>  every link.) "

Hmm. This could be a problem. I suppose one could use
[href^="#"]:not([href="#"]) to get round it. I feel they really ought to
be using href="" (when, that is, the scripting really is vital). (Let us
all curse poorly-written software cobbled together by people who don't
really know what they are doing.)

> Anyway, I think we are forgetting (I started it), that href is an attribute,
> so even though it might be useful in html to have other hrefs it would not
> be useful to site wide css styling, because external style sheets apply to
> elements not attributes. You would have to have different forms of the
> "anchor" element.

Huh? I don't know where you got that idea. Style sheets are (at least,
definitely should in any conformant implementation be) treated pretty much
identically whether they are external or embedded.

Tim Bagot