Re: Understanding :hover

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:58:11 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
To: Andy <lordpixel@mac.com>
cc: <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, 4 Jul 2001, Andy wrote:

> Here's a testcase I made for a Mozilla bug:
> [...]
> (also available here: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showattachment.cgi?attach_id=37800)
>
> Try it in a Mozilla build (since it seems IE still doesn't support :hover)
> What's weird about it is the upper image works how I'd expect, but the
> lower one (the one inside the <a> element) doesn't react to the mouseover.
>
> Why is that? Someone posted to the bug and suggested it was correct
> behaviour, but I can't for the life of me see why that would be the
> case. Why would it being inside an <a> prevent the hover effect from working?

The working group hasn't yet decided. As far as Mozilla is concerned,
though, that's a quirk. Try it in standard mode, it should work. If it
doesn't, that's a bug. See also the infamous bug 5693.

--
Ian Hickson                                            )\     _. - ._.)   fL
Invited Expert, CSS Working Group                     /. `- '  (  `--'