RE: activel inks?

Well the main reason I use CSS is the separation of content and
presentation, something that makes my everyday work easy and my data
reusable.
Of course, way back then, I used to mainly think of the reduced file
sizes as my main motive.

> mean, Netscape 4x (and even 6 I think) is a browser that
> hasn't adjusted to
> "hover". That doesn't mean that "hover" isn't a useful basic

N6 supports :hover. It is a standards oriented browser.

> more heavy, because one more useful property would have
> replaced another
> less useful one.

You don't really want to get there my friend :-)
Every defined CSS property has solid reasons to exist.
From 5.11.3:
"The :active pseudo-class applies while an element is being activated by
the user. For example, between the times the user presses the mouse
button and releases it. "
I find it important. Interaction and letting the user know about how it
goes is great. Ever wondered if you pressed on a link or not?

> Using BeCss  (I didn't know what it was -
> but I think it is
> just a way to call external scripts if I understand it) for a
> basic property
> like this seems to be bloat in itself. Isn't the whole point
> about the power
> of css is that it reduces the need for scripts to do basic navigation
> actions like rollover links etc.. ?

It's more than that. For some time, people have been asking editors to
add some real weird stuff on the css specs. This and some other reasons,
led to BeCSS.
Through this mechanism, you can build your own library of behaviors,
which you can apply on the elements you wish. It is a great tool. I
already have more than 35 behaviors in .htc and would like to translate
everything to actionsheets too.

> Another thing useful to include would be "external link"
> property. Maybe
> this should be included in html spec itself (i.e. "href ext"
> - might be a
> bit against the universal spirit of the web though), but
> something to deal
> with it would be good. This is a case where as it stands the
> css specs,
> although not bloated in themselves, will definitely be used
> to create bloat
> in html. I say this because it is very useful (again a basic
> navigation aid)
> to have different colours for external and internal links.

Give all your external links a class name and style them properly.

> appropriate class. You should not have to define your own classes for
> something that is of such widespread application. OK, it is
> better than
> putting in the colours before each link, but there should be
> an even simpler
> way.

Yes. Apply a behavior to every link
a {
behavior:url(myHrefChecker.htc)
}
 that checks the href value and styles accordingly. Check if the
document is loaded first!

General authoring CSS questions should be addressed to

www-style@w3.org is for technical discussion only.

>  When I was looking for
> info about BeCss

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-becss-19990804