Re: Using em in CSS

From: Mjumbe Ukweli <mjumbewu@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 00:15:09 -0400
To: rllrgrrl@hotmail.com, www-style@w3.org
<kim_m>
<snip/>
>Anyway, my point is, that em seem to cascade differently to 'absolute'
>measurements. Sometimes an element is sized relative to the base size (ie
>user defined size) and sometimes they are in relation to the size of their
>parent element.
>
>Is there a pattern to this? Or is it based on the quirkyness of the
>browser?
</kim_m>

an 'em' in any given element is relative to the font-size of the element's
parent.  if an element has a font-size of .5em and a child of thet element
also has a font-size of .5em then the child's font-size will actually be
.25em of the root font-size.  it's crazy.

i think there needs to be a relative font measurement that is not relative
to the parent's font-size but to the media's default font-size.

                                                  &#8226; mjumbe &#8226;