Re: border size and combining units

>From: "Mjumbe Ukweli" <mjumbewu@hotmail.com>
>To: www-style@w3.org
>Subject: border size and combining units
>Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 13:49:22 -0400
>
>is there a reason that borders-widths cannot be percentage values?  it
>would
>make it that much easier to create fluid GUIs if they could.

And also if the width of the borders were calculated as part of the total
width of an element. Rather than having a div which is 50% plus borderwidth.
bc of course if you want 2 columns, you can make them both 50%, but as soon
as you add even a 1px border then the whole thing becomes too wide for the
page. but if you say the columns are 49% then they aren't an exact fit (and
if the page is narrowed so that 1px is more than 1% it is too big again).

Maybe it could be so that you can say whether you want the border to be
inside or outside the elements box. Or could you do that by making the
margin -1px when you make the border 1px?

>also (and i believe that this was suggested a while ago, though i can't
>remember when or by whom) there should be some way to add two different
>units together to size an element:
>
>elm1 {
>    position: absolute;
>    left: 0%;
>    width: 50%;
>
>    margin: 10px;
>}
>elm2 {
>    position: absolute;
>    left: 50% + 20px;   /* to accomodate elm1 */
>    width: 50% - 20px;
>}

I would really like this to happen and is necessary to make CSS for stretchy
layouts viable (or so my experimentation suggests)

Kim