RE: several messages

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Jeffrey Yasskin wrote:

>> This has never been a problem with HTML as far as I am aware;
>> why would it suddenly become a problem with XML?
> It's suddenly a problem with XML because there are suddenly two
> different types of stylesheets: transforming and layout. A UA HAS to
> know which so that it can incrementally display the page correctly.

Nope. See my other post in this forum recently pointing out that that case
is undefined (fantasai's suggestion of using document order and stopping
when a transformation sheet is used seems best to me).

>> If I have a CGI script which sniffs for the UA string and
>> returns XSL for IE5, CSS for Mozilla and JSSS for Nav4, there is no
>> way I could link to it using a specific MIME type. Ergo, the "type"
>> pseudo-attribute, which being a useful optimisation for many UAs,
>> cannot be a required pseudo-attribute in the real world.
>
> I'd be interested to see a page you've used this CGI on.

I haven't, it's a hypothetical script. It is important that the
technology support it though.

--
Ian Hickson                                            )\     _. - ._.)   fL
Invited Expert, CSS Working Group                     /. `- '  (  `--'