Re: New draft: css3-selectors

Daniel Glazman wrote:

> fantasai wrote:
>
> > Re: column-child
> >
> >   One thing I would really like to see is a way of selecting
> >   descendants of table columns. Since CSS is based on the
> >   document tree, that's not possible, but.. *sigh* ~_~
> >

> Your point was a known problem of table DTDs more than fifteen years
> ago, fantasai...

It's the general failing of a hierarchy.

> There is no real answer. Only one option is available : allow the style
> language to have dual inheritance using an id/idref (or equiv.) present
> in the markup...

Idref from each cell to the column? You don't need anything special for
that--just cell[attr=idref], since all that you're aiming for is to select
the column's descendants.

> Grif (and probably then Amaya) resolved that with hard-coded algos.
>
> This does not easily fit in the css model but I am going to think about it.

Especially since being a table column depends on the stylesheet. =)
Well, good luck!

~fantasai