Re: New draft: css3-selectors

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * fantasai wrote:
> >Re: 6.6.2 The target pseudo-class :target
> >
> >I can see the usefulness of styling targets, but how is the UA to
> >know whether an element has been targeted or not? Anchors can be
> >targeted from outside the document.
>
> Well,
>
>   <a xlink:href="http://host/#target">link</a>
>
> Most UAs will try to jump to the beginning of the addressed fragment
> when the user follows such a link. They know where they should go as
> they know which links are :visited and wich are :not(:visited).

Ok, I misunderstood that section. So, :target selects the element
with id="target" only if I've just followed a link to #target, not
if I've arrived at http://host/#other-target.

> I strongly agree here, I'd liked the :subject pseudo-class very much.
> Why has it been removed?

One reason is because :subject is not a pseudo-class; that is, the syntax
is wrong.
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2000Oct/0061.html