XSLT: output encoding

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 20:13:54 +0100
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi,

XSLT 1.0 (and the WD for XSLT 1.1) state in section 16.1

"It is possible that the result tree will contain a character that
cannot be represented in the encoding that the XSLT processor is using
for output. In this case, if the character occurs in a context where XML
recognizes character references (i.e. in the value of an attribute node
or text node), then the character should be output as a character
reference; otherwise (for example if the character occurs in the name of
an element) the XSLT processor should signal an error."

I'd like to know why there are "should"s and not "must"s. XSLT
processors would output something like

  <?xml version='1.0' encoding='us-ascii'?>
  <x>ö</x>

I couldn't find anything in XML 1.0 that marks such a document as a
non-well-formed external general parsed entity, so I can't say this is a
clear erratum, but I suggest that XSLT 1.1 sets here a must for
clarification.
--
Björn Höhrmann ^ mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de ^ http://www.bjoernsworld.de
am Badedeich 7 ° Telefon: +49(0)4667/981028 ° http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de