Re: Aural CSS

From: Michael Hamm <MHamm@gc.cuny.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 17:28:48 -0500
To: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>
Concerning my post today to this list with the same Subject, someone (who
apparently wished to remain anonymous, as he wrote to me, not the list)
wrote, in part:
> The problem here is that both your plans defeat one of the
> main precepts of CSS: That content and presentation should
> be seperated. So CSS should not concern itself with the
> actual content presented; only the manner in which it is
> presented.

This is a problem with my plans, *except* that part of Plan A which allows
for {speak:attr(x)}.  The content is in the HTML.

> Furthermore, if you ask people to write their content twice
> (e.g. once in plain text, and once in IPA), they will not
> do it.

It seems (from this last amd from something he wrote further on) that the
gentleman misunderstood me.  I write here in case others did, too.  I do not
want the entire the Web page to be written twice over; only those elements
whose contents are to be spoken in a way different from the way they're seen
(as in the examples I gave in my original post).

Michael Hamm
BA Math scl, PBK, NYU
mhamm@gc.cuny.edu
http://www.crosswinds.net/~msh210/