Re: Comments for WD-css3-selectors-20010126

Susan Lesch <lesch@w3.org> wrote:

> Some references link to CSS2. [RFC1766], [HTML40], [YACC] and
> [FLEX] could be added to section 16, with links changed to
> local anchors.

Rather than referring to RFC 1766, I would recommend to refer to
RFC 3066 [1] instead, which was just published recently and it
obsoletes RFC 1766.

The main difference between RFC 1766 and RFC 3066 is that the latter
allows three-letter language codes defined in ISO 639-2, in addition
to two-letter language codes defined in ISO 639.  As for XML, "2.12
Language Identification" of XML 1.0 Second Edition [2] notes:

   Note:

   [IETF RFC 1766] tags are constructed from two-letter language codes as
   defined by [ISO 639], from two-letter country codes as defined by [ISO
   3166], or from language identifiers registered with the Internet
   Assigned Numbers Authority [IANA-LANGCODES]. It is expected that the
   successor to [IETF RFC 1766] will introduce three-letter language
   codes for languages not presently covered by [ISO 639].

and productions 33 through 38 have been removed to allow three-letter
language codes.  There are many languages which only have three-letter
codes but don't have two-letter codes, so it would be unfortunate if
`:lang' pseudo-class cannot be used for those languages while the
`xml:lang' attribute allows them.

[1] ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc3066.txt
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-lang-tag

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org