Re: icons for pages/sites/etc. (was Re: src attribute of IFRAME and FRAME)

From: Tantek Celik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 15:10:53 -0800
To: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>, "www-html@w3.org" <www-html@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Subject: Re: icons for pages/sites/etc. (was Re: src attribute of IFRAME
and   FRAME)
Date: Thu, Dec 6, 2001, 2:53 PM

>> On another note, since an "icon" for a page is purely presentational, this
>> really should be done with CSS instead (discussion redirected to www-style).
>
> An icon is purely presentation only insofar as any media object is
> purely presentational.

Not true.  More like, an icon is purely presentation insofar as a
background-image in a document is purely presentation.  Both are external
media resources not necessary for and thus separate from the core
"content/semantics" of the document.

> Defined as such, the icon doesn't even need to be visual--one could
> conceivably have an audio "icon", which would use sound waves/time
> instead of colors/position. Though I don't know what you'd use it for.

Defined with CSS the icon doesn't even need to be visual.  A URI for an
'icon' property could point to a audio file.

"Audio icons" are in use all over the place, though they are usually called
"audio cues" instead.

Tantek