Re: Selectors Becomes a W3C Candidate Recommendation

Bruno writes:

> I saw on w3.org site that "Selectors Becomes a W3C Candidate
> Recommendation", so I was wondering why someone from W3C didn't put note
> here?

Sorry, my fault :-(

Yes: Selectors is a Candidate Recommendation. Please, start
implementing and tell about your experiences. The intention is to
leave the spec in this state for at least 6 months, to give
implementers enough time and W3C a fair chance to determine if the
spec works in practice.

Selectors is the first of about 20 modules of CSS level 3. It can be
used as part of CSS to style documents, but also in other contexts,
limited only by your imagination. (That is one of the reasons why CSS
is being modularized.)

Note that there is test suite[1] in the works. We currently consider
it beta-quality, but I expect we'll soon have a version of which we
are more confident. (Which doesn't mean that we'll then stop
developing it.) The test suite is meant as an aid to implementers, but
also as a tool to determine in due time whether the spec is
sufficiently implemented to become a W3C Recommendation.

Feedback on and contributions to the test suite are also very welcome.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/CR-css3-selectors-20011113

Bert
  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA