Re: Questions on font-stretch

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:26:52 -0400
To: www-style-request@w3.org
cc: "Www-Style" <www-style@w3.org>
> 	1. Why does the CSS2 font-stretch property accept only keywords,
> and not percentages?

Because it does not actually cause the font to be scaled in any way.
The property is somewhat misleadingly named, imo.  From
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#propdef-font-stretch :

  The 'font-stretch' property selects a normal, condensed, or extended
  face from a font family.

So if you have the fonts:

Arial
Arial Bold
Arial Condensed

installed, a stylesheet that specifies 'font-family: Arial;
font-stretch: condensed' would end up with the "Arial Condensed" font.

Boris
617-764-2453
Once at a social gathering, Gladstone said to Disraeli,
"I predict, Sir, that you will die either by hanging or
of some vile disease".  Disraeli replied, "That all
depends upon whether I embrace your principles or your
mistress".