From: Bjoern Hoehrmann
Sent: Κυρ 19/8/2001 8:27 μμ
To: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Excluding declarations from the cascade

 Hi,

    Current CSS features allow the user some control over the
 presentation of documents, but it's a rather limited control.
For
 example some users don't like 'text-decoration: blink' others
don't
 like 'position: fixed', 'background-attachment: fixed', 'cursor:
 crosshair', etc.pp. CSS allows you only to demand a specific
 presentation, you cannot exclude some property/value
combinations. For
 example, to get rid of 'position: fixed' I can only write

   * { position: static !important }

 but this would override all values for the position property I
_want_ to
 allow, and this would cause problems. Consider

  * { text-decoration: none !important }

 and the author defines

  obsololete { text-decoration: line-through }

 the presentation would break. I like to see some feature in CSS
Level 3
 that allows me to exclude distinct values for specific
properties
 instead of overriding them.

 A possible syntax could be a new at-rule, e.g.

   @exclude {
     :link, :visited { text-decoration: none                  }
     *               { position: fixed                        }
     body            { background-attachment: fixed           }
     p               { color: silver; background-color: white }
   }

 but maybe others can come up with some better suggestions.

 regards,
 --
 Björn Höhrmann { mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de }
http://www.bjoernsworld.de