Re: Another approch to style hyperlinks

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 02:42:00 +0200
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>, <bert@w3.org>
* Ian Hickson wrote:
>On Fri, 27 Jul 2001, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>>
>> I came to the conclusion, that I don't like the @link rule syntax.
>> [...]
>
>Personally, I do not really understand why we need this to be in CSS at
>all. Stylesheets are supposed to be optional, but links are an inherent
>part of the data. What's wrong with simply relying on XLink to tell us

...or semantics of the used document language...

>what is a link?

Well, authors would be able to add extended hyperlinking capabilities to
documents the document language didn't consider. Take the longdesc
attribute as example, HTML 4 defines it to carry an URI but not if and
how users may access the resource behind it, nor how it should be
presented to the user. I think another design goal is to allow user
agents, that don't know the used document language and/or don't know
XLink are able to present the document anyway in a appropriate manner.