Re: Issue 1: Font-weight and headings

From: Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:56:35 +0300 (EEST)
To: Michael Blankenship <Michael@AdvisorSoftware.com>
cc: <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Michael Blankenship wrote:

><grrr>	By the way, the HTML4.DTD, for example, has the #IMPLIED attribute
>liberally strewn about the place for most of the tags yet strangely there's
>no indication in the comments of what the W3 had in mind for those defaults
>in the first place.  Far be it for me to defend Microsoft but personally,
>I'd say that you can't much blame Microsoft and Netscape for guessing their
>own default values if they're not published in the DTD in the first
>place.</grrr>

Sorry to nitpick, but isn't the idea of #IMPLIED precisely that there is no
default value? AFAIK, #IMPLIED means that if the attribute is not specified,
it has semantics possibly unrelated to any of the valid values of that
attribute. After all, SGML has always been able to specify default values
distinctly from #IMPLIED.

Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy, mailto:decoy@iki.fi, gsm: +358-50-5756111