RE: Block-level formatting and width in Netscape 6

> From:	Philip Hoyt [SMTP:phoyt@mspect.com]
>
> shortcomings of css. Similar techniques behave in a much more useful
> manner in css-free html (<table width="100%"> for example).

	[DJW:]  You are comparing empirical behaviour with
	specified behaviour.  I would expect a reasonable
	implementation of table width="100%" to behave
	exactly the same as table style="width: 100%", but
	there is no tight specification either way.  Others
	might interpret it as meaning the best approximation to the
	dominant pre-CSS browser behaviour.

	Also note that you must read the CSS2 errata if you are
	dealing with table widths.  I think it is unsafe to ignore
	the errata in this whole area.

	Also note that there are open bug reports about the use
	of width on absolutely positioned tables in Mozilla
	(it gets ignored).
[DJW:]