RE: multiple stylesheets (XSLT and CSS)

From: Jeffrey Yasskin <jyasskin@appcomp.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:56:07 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org
As far as I know, an XSLT stylesheet cannot be included via a LINK tag. XSLT
only applies to XML data, and first, these link tags are not XML (no closing
tag), and second, LINK tags only apply to HTML and XHTML. The correct way to
link stylesheets to XML pages is with the xml-stylesheet processing
instruction. (http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-stylesheet/) Unfortunately, that
doesn't tell you what happens.
I would think that since an XSLT stylesheet transforms pure data into
something more displayable, you should run that first and then style it with
CSS, since the pure data may not be in a good order for display. But Ian's
suggestion makes sense too. The "correct" behavior should be mentioned
somewhere in a spec.

>   <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css">
>   <link rel="stylesheet" type="application/xml" href="transform.xsl">
>   <?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="style.css"?>
>   <?xml-stylesheet type="application/xml" href="transform.xsl"?>

Jeffrey