Re: New CSS working draft: media queries

From: Simon St.Laurent <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 11:35:47 -0400
To: bert@w3.org, www-style@w3.org
At 08:23 PM 4/4/01 +0200, Bert Bos wrote:
>A new working draft of the CSS working group has been published
>today, called "Media queries"[1]. From the abstract:
>
>     HTML4 and CSS2 currently support media-dependent style sheets
>     tailored for different media types. For example, a document may use
>     sans-serif fonts when displayed on a screen and serif fonts when
>     printed. "Screen" and "print" are two of the media types that have
>     been defined. To describe in more detail what type of devices a
>     style sheet applies to, this document proposes media queries.

Is there some reason that the document constantly references HTML 4 and CSS 2?

Makes me feel like it's 1998 again or so.  It does mention XHTML once and
XML once (re: ampersands), but it seems like the implications of this
document go well beyond HTML 4 and CSS 2.  The discussion of CC/PP makes me
really wonder what kind of time warp I've stepped into.

I spend a lot of time pushing CSS as a viable option for XML presentation -
I'd really like to see CSS drafts acknowledging the existence of such
possibilities.  Stories like http://xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1161 end up
with weird qualifiers to reassure readers that there's a point to the CSS
work going on rather than clean explanations of how this might be helpful
for XML developers.

Simon St.Laurent - Associate Editor, O'Reilly and Associates
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML