Re: Specific/generic font-family name clashes

From: Thomas Jespersen <thomas@daimi.au.dk>
Date: 08 Sep 2000 16:11:38 +0200
To: Clover Andrew <aclover@1VALUE.com>
Cc: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>
Clover Andrew <aclover@1VALUE.com> writes:

> What should happen when the name of a generic font family matches the name
> of an actual font the user has installed? I've come across tediously-named

I am not sure what will happen in real life situations, but here is
what will happen in theory[1]:

1. The user-agent will make a database of the font-faces it can access,
   and that includes the 'Serif' font-face.

2. It will first try to match font-faces from the database in step
   one. And there it will find your 'Serif' font.

3. Before it will try the generic font-family 'Serif' it will test if
   some of the other properties for the element will match a font-face
   in the database.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/fonts.html#algorithm