Re: simulating <br>

From: Daniel Glazman <glazou_2000@yahoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 20:33:50 +0200
To: Vincent Lefevre <vincent+www@vinc17.org>
CC: www-style@w3.org
Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 17:40:19 +0200, Daniel Glazman wrote:
>
>> Désolé Vincent, but this is not a question of semantics. It
>> is a question of common practice. Dozens of millions of web
>> pages have been published where multiple-<BR> equals
>> multiple-line-breaks.
>

> The common practice isn't a good reason. Or at least, several
> <BR>'s should be regarded as bad HTML.

It is valid HTML. It is not good design, it is not the
same thing.
Common practice is the best reason in the world when there
is no standard. BR has common practice because in 1993, there
was no standard defining BR correctly and all side effects.

> I wish the browsers I use could collapse <BR>'s. There are pages that
> use too many of them and need to be scrolled too much often.

In a parallel world, HTML is defined as a SGML DTD from the
very beginning of the Web. Just go there :-)

</Daniel>