Re: Ideas for the ACSS module of CSS3

From: Robin Berjon <robin@knowscape.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 17:05:10 +0200
To: Sean Palmer <wapdesign@wapdesign.org.uk>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Sean Palmer wrote:

> Maybe if I thought of a beter example...
> Ah! p { color: #803050, else(color: #303030;); } for black-and-white
> screens!
> Hang on, that's a bit crud as well...
> img { border: 1px black, else(border: 0;); } for imageless browsers, and you
> don't want a border round the placeholder.

One example I can think of that could be useful is if UA X supports both
properties A and B, but UA Y only supports property B. One might want to
have UAs that support property A to use it and those that don't to use
property B, but not for those that support both to use both. In that case
selector { propA: value, else(propB: value); } could be useful. I can't
seem to track it down now but I remember there was talk about allowing
extensions to css syntax with properties prefixed with a -. Having the
ability to fallback would be useful in such cases.

-- robin b.
After all, what is your hosts' purpose in having a party?  Surely not for
you to enjoy yourself; if that were their sole purpose, they'd have simply
sent champagne and women over to your place by taxi.