XLink and CSS3

At 06:33 AM 10/13/00 -0700, Ian Hickson wrote:
>On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>>
>> And I'd point folks to XLink:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/xlink/
>>
>> Bringing it back to CSS, I'd suggest that there's a lot in XLink which CSS
>> isn't prepared to handle right now, and probably should.
>
>Now would be a very good time to describe what you think are the
>requirements.

Sounds good.  Hopefully there are more XLink-folk around to join the
discussion. Paul Prescod and I tried to start this about a year ago, to
little effect.

>I have seen two requirements:
>
>   :link should apply to arbitrary elements pointed to by XPointer
>  ::link should apply to arbitrary element bits pointer to by XPointer
>
>Is there anything else?

There's an enormous amount more.  Some has to do with integrating XLink
implementation with CSS implementation on a fairly abstract level involving
links coming from multiple documents, some has to do with issues like
support for XLink behaviors (show and actuate), and some has to do with the
prospect of links that can take you to multiple locations and how those
choices should be presented.

I'll try to publish some more specific material over the course of the next
few days.  I'm utterly buried in writing projects, so it'll have to come
out as fragments.

Simon St.Laurent
XHTML: Migrating Toward XML