selector negation (was: Re: New version of the Selectors module of CSS3)

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 04:17:38 +0200
To: "Ian Hickson" <ianh@netscape.com>
Cc: <www-style@w3.org>
* "Ian Hickson" <ianh@netscape.com> wrote:
| > The button accepts keyboard events, so it has the focus. Thats what the
| > spec says. There is no need for a new pseudo-class.
|
| But the input field accepts keyboard events too. Are you seriously saying
| that you think two elements at once have focus???

Since there are two elements that accept keyboard events, yes, that exactly
what I think.

| Right -- but that means you have to explicitly style the links too. That's
| the whole problem. What if you don't know what their style should be?

I agree that this is a problem.

| > If you get pseudo-class inversion i want to have attribute inversion like
| > 'not
| > equal', 'does not end with', 'has no attribute' and so on like
| >
| > a[!href]
| > a[href^!"http://www.w3.org"]
|
| I have also proposed this (using the first syntax you gave!).

There should be only one syntax for negation not two or three or even more. I
don't know the allowed grammar, so I cannot make a proposal.

The negation selector has a relation to the :subject pseudo class (as it
changes the semantic of the given selector), maybe they should have a similar
syntax.
--
Björn Höhrmann ^ mailto:bjoern@hoehrmann.de ^ http://www.bjoernsworld.de
am Badedeich 7 ° Telefon: +49(0)4667/981ASK ° http://www.websitedev.de/