Re: Default XSL stylesheet for XHTML documents

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 17:07:42 +0200 (W. Europe Daylight Time)
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Chris Lilley:

 > > And certainly not alone. Documents should always be published either in
 > > well known semantic-full vocabularies (XHTML, MathML, even SVG to some
 > > extent)
 >
 > Uhm, in what way is XHTML 'semantic'. I agree that half of the MathML spec
 > (the lesser-implemented part) is semantic.

It's an intersting question. I don't think data formats are "semantic"
or "presentational" -- there exists a continuous "ladder of abstraction".

I have tried to assess various web document formats in a recent paper:

  http://www.opera.com/people/howcome/2000/PODDP/

-h&kon

Chief Technology Officer                                Opera Software
Håkon Wium Lie                     http://www.opera.com/people/howcome
howcome@opera.com                                gets you there faster