Re: Default XSL stylesheet for XHTML documents

From: Ian Hickson <ianh@netscape.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 17:31:00 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
To: Tantek Celik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
cc: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, Elliotte Rusty Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> From: Ian Hickson <ianh@netscape.com>
>>> Uhm, in what way is XHTML 'semantic'.
>> Headers, paragraphs, citations, quotes, variables, sample code,
>> definitions, lists -- they are all mark-up-able without even suggesting a
>> formatting style.
>
> Uh, no.
>
> XHTML itself has no semantics.  All it does is point to HTML4.x which _does_
> have semantics (as you listed).  Go check the XHTML spec.

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/ says:
# The semantics of the elements and their attributes are defined in the
# W3C Recommendation for HTML 4.

So the elements and attributes have semantics. Those semantics are defined
somewhere other than the spec itself, but that is a secondary issue.

Your argument is like saying that the grammar of CSS2 has no meaning
because we do not define the whole of LL(1), we only point to it.

--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL
Netscape, Standards Compliance QA              /. `- '  (  `--'