Horizontal Alignment Inheritance

From: fantasai <fantasai@escape.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2000 21:08:01 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
Should text-align inheritance break on a table? This is the
traditional behavior of browsers. Also, the inheritance list
in HTML 4 ends with defaulting at the table level. However,
I couldn't find anything on it in the CSS2 spec, so I'm
assuming that this does not hold true for CSS.

There doesn't seem to be any way of nulling text-align
inheritance; I mean, setting the alignment to the default
for that writing direction, as if there had been no alignment
set in any of the element's ancestors. Would an 'auto' value
make sense? It would be handy where one does not necessarily
know which direction the text is going.