Re: CSS grammar/syntax

Just reading over the archives... and found this message;

> It's a good thing that some characters are not part of identifiers, so
> that they can be used in future extensions of CSS without breaking
> backwards compatibility.

I have to respond to this idea that "backwards compatibility" is even
possible by looking just at the specs, and not at how IE/Nav interpret the
code.

There is a real danger of ivory-towerism here. Can't we realise that the
browser-writers (MS, Net, and others) are really in the driver's seat here
(I speak from the point of view of a design agency, here) - whatever they
(and the 90% of the viewing market they command currently) show - goes, as
far as designers and their clients are concerned, not what the
intentions/rules of w3c are (no matter how good those intentions).

Just my point of view - but you'd probably find that those in service
companies have a strong leaning that way.

best

Tim

Tim Diggins
New Media Director      mailto:tim.diggins@teamworks.co.uk