Re: pseudo-elements and *

Ian Hickson wrote:

>> P::first-line { color :red }
>> P { color : black }
>

> No, because the ::first-line pseudo-element is only matched by the first,
> not the second. So the second takes precedence.

I see no evidence of that anywhere in the specification...
On the contrary, I think that the second rule should override
the first one.

>> It suggests that pseudo-elements have an impact on specificity...
>
> This is actually unrelated, but they do (pseudo-elements have a
> specificity of 001).

Not in the actual CSS 2 Rec. . Pseudo-elements have 000 for
the moment (from section 6.4.3) :

. count the number of ID attributes in the selector (= a)
. count the number of other attributes and pseudo-classes in the
selector (= b)
. count the number of element names in the selector (= c)
. ignore pseudo-elements.

</Daniel>