Re: pseudo-elements and *

fantasai wrote:

> Does the universal selector (*) apply to pseudo-elements?
>
> example - given the following
>
> p::first-line {color: red}
> * {color: black !important}
>
> Will the first line of each <p> be red or black?

Eeehhhh. Perhaps a very good catch... According to cascading
order (section 6.4.1 of the spec), the color of each P should
be black, even if the first rule has a more specific selector.

Just for information, both IE and Mozilla make it red.

By the way,  the two following rules should also make the first line
black, according to cascading order and specificity computation rules :

P::first-line { color :red }
P { color : black }

Again, just for information, IE and Mozilla render the first line in
red.

It suggests that pseudo-elements have an impact on specificity...
I think that you found something we have to discuss internally in
the Working Group. Thanks !

</Daniel>