Re: CSS and namespaces?

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 19:45:00 +0100 (W. Europe Standard Time)
To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Also sprach Simon St.Laurent:

 > >We're busy implementing. Check the new Opera 4.0 beta [1] -- it
 > >supports all of CSS1 and all of CSS2 with the exception of:
 >
 > I'm glad to hear that implementation's finally catching up to the specs,
 > and the CSS2 support in Opera sounds _very_ promising.

Yes, try it out! I should also mention that it supports XML with
stylesheet linking, and has experimental support for:

  - the CSS3 namespace proposal [1]

  - WML, i.e. a pre-installed CSS style sheet is applied to incoming
    WML documents

  - Open eBook, i.e. a pre-installed CSS style sheet is applied to
    incoming OPF documents [3]

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-namespace/
[2] http://www.openebook.org/

I'm working on documentation for these new features.

 > Is this 'break for implementation' an official W3C-sponsored pause, or is
 > it just a coincidence?

CSS3 is being worked on, and documents will follow. However, compared
to the major new functionality that entered CSS2, CSS3 will be smaller
-- more focused on modularizing existing functionality rather than
adding new.

As always, discussions in this group is helpful when moving CSS
forward.

-h&kon

Chief Technology Officer                                Opera Software
Håkon Wium Lie                     http://www.opera.com/people/howcome
howcome@opera.com                                gets you there faster