Re: width of absolutely positioned, non-replaced elements

From: Matthew Brealey <thelawnet@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 08:43:52 -0800 (PST)
To: www-style@w3.org
--- Joe Hewitt <joe@joehewitt.com> wrote:
> This section states that when the width (or height, as in 10.6.4) of
> said
> element is "auto", the width will extend to the boundaries of it's
> containing block.  The consequence of this is that said absolutely
> positioned elements have no means of accurately representing the
> dimensions
> of their content.

Under the rules I proposed for inline blocks, this could be achieved by
display: inline-block:

Width of non-replaced inline block elements
A specified value of 'auto' for 'left', 'right', 'margin-left' or
'margin-right' becomes a computed value of '0'. A specified value of
'auto' for 'width' gives the width of the content as the width of the
element. For the purposes of min-width, this is treated as a width of 0,
so if min-width is set to a value other than 0, this will override it.

Inline blocks
If a non-replaced inline block has width: auto (and min-width: auto), the
element will be formatted as a single line. If it has an explicit width,
the element will behave like an ordinary block element in that content
will wrap at the edge of the element.

Just one minor change to this is needed - to 'for the purposes of' I would
append: '; of course for the purposes of referring to the value for
'width' (e.g., for scripting, margin %) the auto-sized width is treated in
the same way as an explicitly set one'.

> I have been told by folks like Ian Hickson and Troy Chevalier that this
> issue is being discussed and likely to be revised in a future errata
> item.

To call it an erratum would be to strain the natural sense of the word.
This can scarce be called one - no-one is suggesting that it is an
unintended mistake, only that it doesn't allow every possible effect to be achieved.

From Matthew Brealey (http://members.tripod.co.uk/lawnet (for law)or http://members.tripod.co.uk/lawnet/WEBFRAME.HTM (for CSS))
Do You Yahoo!?