RE: Horizontal rules

From: <JOrendorff@ixl.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2000 12:30:11 -0500
To: www-style@w3.org

Matthew Brealey wrote:
> Or rather simply devise different float rules or properties
> to cope with the fact that the rendering is perfect outside of
> floats, and (IMO perfect with them as well) only problematic
> withfloats.

There's no debating aesthetics...  But if browsers start treating HRs
the way you suggest, I suspect it will broadly be considered a defect.
(Mozilla appears to treat HR this way, except Mozilla really does have
a defect- the HR is drawn over the float.  Yuck.)

'display: block' was intended for blocks of content, not empty
placeholders for borders.

Likewise, borders are not content; they decorate content.  The 'border'
properties were designed for this purpose.

This is why these properties don't give the best results when applied to
HR.  They are being used counter to their design.  You wouldn't try to
explain crown molding as a special case of picture-frames.

I agree with both of you:  a new property or feature is needed.

--
Jason Orendorff