Re: Rounded corners

Tim Bannister wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Chris Lilley wrote:

> >It seems to me that a simpler proposal would be to extend the background
> >property to allow "stretch to fit" as well as "tile" as a way to cover a
> >given background with a graphic which may not be exactly the same size as
> >the background.
> >
> >This would work well with vector graphics, and particularly well with SVG;
> >an image that gives you a quarter-elipse is a tiny SVG file, and can be
> >displayed at any size with full fidelity, and can inherit colors from the
> >parent document.
>
> You would need some way of telling the rest of the page to flow round it,
> I'd expect.  Imagine that you have a box containing a SVG of a rhombus,
> and you want the text to do something like this:

That was why I concentrated on it being a background image; no problems
with text flow.

> Rhubarb and custard rhubarb and custard rhubarb and custard rhubarb and
> custard  rhubarb and custard  rhubarb and custard  rhubarb and custard
> rhubarb and                               custard  rhubarb and custard
> rhubarb  and                               custard  rhubarb and  custard
> rhubarb    and                               custard rhubarb and custard
> rhubarb     and                               custard   rhubarb   and
> custard  rhubarb                               and custard   rhubarb and
> custard   rhubarb                               and custard  rhubarb and
> custard    rhubarb                               and custard rhubarb and
> custard     rhubarb                               and  custard   rhubarb
> and custard rhubarb and custard rhubarb and custard  rhubarb and custard
> rhubarb and custard rhubarb and custard rhubarb and custard rhubarb and
>
> ... but, you know, better.
>
> How do you do that?

You don't currently (or rather, you make a whole lot of unrealistic
assumptions about where line breaks fall and do lots of hacking around to
make it work, thus disabling flow, and if the window is too narrow or too
wide well then you either gwet scroll bars or a wide margin).

This is a common request, and being able to give a path which is the
"outline" around which text flows is certainlya reasonable thing to want to
do and a tractable problem.

--
Chris