Re: Horizontal rules

From: Matthew Brealey <thelawnet@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 01:00:07 -0800 (PST)
To: www-style@w3.org
--- Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:
> Tantek Çelik wrote:
> >
> > >From Matthew Brealey
> > > HR {border: 1px solid;
> > > border-color: windowborder /* ? */;
> > > display: block;
> > > margin: 6px auto}
> > >
> > > HR[color] {border-color: attr(color)}
> >
> > Strictly speaking, the COLOR attribute of HR and the CSS color
> property do not
> > accept the same set of values, and the border-color property in
> particular
> > does not accept 'attr()' as a value.
>
> It seems that this sort of usage is turning up more and more, and we
> should
> support it.

Possibly; I don't have strong opinions either way; however, my principal
objection is that if we are going to allow attr(value) to be used to find
the value of something in one case (access-key), it is therefore absurd
not to allow it in all cases - CSS2 did not attempt to define the mapping
of HTML to CSS, and this worked fine; if CSS3 does do so, it must do so as
a whole or not at all.

It is arguable that since the mapping of HTML to CSS is doomed not to be a
total success (e.g., the multilength unit), it is better not to attempt it
at all.

Just on the subject of HTML formatting attributes, I feel that the
suggestion that HTML formatting attributes have zero specificity might not
be quite right; surely <HR align="right"> shouldn't be overridden by HR
{margin: 6px auto} (or any other value except for the (apparent)
right-align (any 0 any auto) (according to the spec it should).

This is a better argument for mapping of HTML to CSS insofar as it allows
these cases to be properly defined.

=====