Re: My point is a point is a point

From: Daniel Hiester <alatus@mail.earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 10:45:23 -0700
To: <www-style@w3.org>
Walter said:
"A 72pt font should ALWAYS be 1" (2.54cm) high, whether it's printed on
paper or displayed on a CRT or LCD."

I have some sort of question about the flip side of this statement... I know
what a point is (I did some journalism in high school) but how does a pixel
translate to printed media? Is it a matter of the printer's resolution?

e.g. if you have a font that's 50 px tall, and a printer with a 100dpi
resolution (this IS just hypothetical, after all), does that mean that the
font would be half and inch tall when printed from that printer? Would it
appear bigger on a printer with a 75dpi resolution?

Sorry for such a dumb question; I'm a newbie. :)

Daniel