Re: UI WD - necessary extension

 MB> System values are also needed for padding. Otherwise one would be
 MB> guessing when one creates a form widget - you can't know amount of
 MB> padding it should have.

 me> You can leave the padding untouched for such elements and assume the
 me> UA does somthing sensible. This should be considered basically
 me> everytime you put something in a stylesheet ...

 MB> Not really. The point of the UI extensions is not to affect existing
 MB> form controls, but rather to create new ones. While it is true that the
 MB> UA will do something sensible on HTML form controls, these are not at
 MB> issue - if they were, system values would be across the board
 MB> superfluous. Rather, their purpose is to allow one to create from a
 MB> primitive element the appearance of any HTML element (plus more). With
 MB> the primitive XML element, the UA *cannot* do something sensible.

But, with all respect, it still seems to me you are not doing the
Right Thing ...

What should be done is to tell the UA that the XML element _is_ (or
should be rendered as) a specific form control, not that it has the
same font, border, padding, etc as the wanted form control ...

You don't want to write a script for exactly what should happen when
the user clicks something you classify as something similar to a html
<select>, do you?

Maybe this is hard to do, since the UA can't have a default
stylesheet for your element, but then the UA should have some
mechanism (not necessarily expressable in CSS or XSL) for setting
other styles depending on special value for some styles (if you set
the 'display' to 'selectbox' (or something like that) a specific UA
might set padding for that element to 4px) ...

--
Rasmus Kaj -------------------- rasmus@kaj.se - http://Raditex.se/~kaj/
 \                                 I link, therefore I am - /usr/bin/ld