Re: border-collapse conflicts and other topics

fantasai wrote:

> Re: Hidden Borders
>
>   <BLOCKQUOTE cite=[CSS2:17.6.3]>
>   *hidden
>      Same as 'none', but in the collapsing border model, also
>       inhibits any other border (see the section on border conflicts).
>   </BLOCKQUOTE>
>
>   Seeing as the width of a border affects the width/height of the
>   cell (or the table), why are hidden borders treated as none (without
>   a width)?

Because rather than hidden, the value would be better named 'never'.

> If I decided to put a border on :hover, the contents would
>   bounce around every time I moved the mouse, no?

There is no requirement to support dynamic reflow.

>   By the way, if a table row is over-constrained (all widths, paddings,
>   and borders are specified, including the table width), what gives?

The table algorithm used by the UA decides.

> Re: Border Conflict Resolution
>
>   <BLOCKQUOTE cite=[CSS2:17.6.2]>
>   4.If border styles differ only in color, then a style set on a cell
>     wins over one on a row, which wins over a row group, column, column
>     group and, lastly, table.
>   </BLOCKQUOTE>
>
>   What happens if the border styles are both set on individual cells?

See two (at least) previous posts on this omission.

Please visit http://RichInStyle.com. Featuring:
MySite: customizable styles.         AlwaysWork style
Browser bug table covering all CSS2 with links to descriptions.
Lists of > 1000 browser bugs         Websafe Colorizer
CSS2, CSS1 and HTML4 tutorials.      CSS masterclass
CSS2 test suite: 5000++ tests and 300+ test pages.