Re: Inline h*ll

>From: erik@netscape.com (Erik van der Poel)
>Date: Mon, Jan 24, 2000, 2:03 PM

<snip>

> But all of this can be addressed in the future, I think. Right now, it
> is important to get the basics nailed down first.

Agreed.  At a certain point, the foundational formatting models introduced in
CSS-1 need to solidified before additional formatting tweaking/optimizing on
those models can be done.

> What I mean is that
> the current documents on the Web rarely use inline borders, whereas
> underlines are very common, as is text at certain sizes. So, font-size,
> font box model, underline, and so on, should be addressed first.

I think it is very important to address those at the same time as the other
formatting models of CSS-1, to ensure that the interactions
(inline,block,float) are all worked out.  Some would include all the
formatting models of CSS-2 as well, but first things first.

I also think it is important to address those additions in CSS2 (and CSS3)
that are designed to be used in place of the few remaining presentational
aspects of HTML 4 that cannot be specified in CSS-1.  IMHO - Addressing these
"stylistic backfills" for HTML4 is more important than even complete CSS-2.

> (Mozilla applies CSS style sheets (the UA style sheet) to HTML documents
> even when those documents don't contain *any* CSS.)

Tasman also applies CSS (the effective UA style sheet and potentially other
sources) to HTML documents even when those documents don't contain any
styling, whether through CSS properties or HTML attributes.

Tantek