Re: font-size and font-size-adjust

On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Erik van der Poel wrote:

> [snip font-size-adjust changes]
>
> So, my suggestion is to use the font's ascender or cap-height value
> as the font-size. In some fonts, the glyphs themselves may have
> various ascender and cap-height values, but hopefully the fonts will
> have some sort of "nominal" ascender and/or cap-height value that
> could be used for this. If not, I suppose the implementation could
> compute the median of the ascents of the glyphs for letters with
> ascenders and capital letters, respectively.
>
> [...]
>
> 3. font-size spec. Change this to use either ascender or cap-height
> (plus descender) for bicameral fonts; nominal height for unicameral
> fonts.

Hmm. Have a look at:

   http://style.metrius.com/junk/enormous.gif
   http://style.metrius.com/junk/emquadindeed.gif
   http://style.metrius.com/junk/emtolineheight.gif
   (Thanks to Todd for those images.)

The first two show a font ("LinotypeZapfino-four"?) being edited, with
(presumably?) all the data you can get from the font. (baseline,
em-square height, etc.)

The last of the three shows the font as it is expected to look when
line-height is 1.0, using the current CSS definition of font-size
(i.e. font-size:125px means 1em = 125px means that the height of the
em square of the font should be 125px). Note how the very tall "f"
spills into surrounding lines -- this is intentional. Other fonts at
line-height:1.0 may well not want to do this, and so would not spill
so far out of their em square height.

With your version of font-size, how would "emtolineheight.gif" have
looked?

BTW, I really like that font. :-)

--
http://www.bath.ac.uk/%7Epy8ieh/        `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)