W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-style@w3.org > January 2000

Re: CSS equivalents for HTML formatting attributes

From: Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 02:14:52 +0000 (GMT)
To: Matthew Brealey <thelawnet@yahoo.com>
cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
Message-ID: <Pine.GSO.4.04.10001220212140.27890-100000@mary.bath.ac.uk>
On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Matthew Brealey wrote:

>>> 1. what is the CSS equivalent of (the deprecated) vspace and
>>> hspace, padding or margin (HTML describes it as 'white space'
>>> around the element (this is especially important in view of the
>>> fact that they are deprecated and are 'generally non-zero')
>> Margin. Padding would let the background of the element show
>> through.
> I'm not sure. I don't think it was considered in such detail by the
> HTML working group. I think the term 'white space' is simply one
> used as a convenience. I don't think one can be so certain about
> this; the reason I put the 'white space' quote in was in case anyone
> said it was definitely padding (HTML also refers to it as 'gutter'.

The vspace and hspace goes on the outside of the border, if the image
has a border. Hence it is a margin, not padding, which would go on the
inside of the border. 

Ian Hickson                            ("`-''-/").___..--''"`-._   
http://www.bath.ac.uk/%7Epy8ieh/        `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)
                                        (_Y_.)'  ._   )  `._ `. ``-..-' fL
Member, Mozilla Quality Assurance     _..`--'_..-_/  /--'_.' ,'
Browser Standards Compliance Team    (il).-''  (li).'  ((!.-'    
Received on Friday, 21 January 2000 21:15:05 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Monday, 2 May 2016 14:26:52 UTC