RE: Units, font sizing, and zoom suggestion for CSS 3

From: Karlsson Kent - keka <keka@im.se>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 12:07:44 +0100
To: "'David Perrell'" <davidp@earthlink.net>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>

> "Several TeX command use dimensions as their parameters to
> specify sizes for
> different items. There are a number of units that can be used
> for those
> dimensions: ...
>    em - horizontal size of the point size of the font ..."

The quote continues:

"about the [horizontal] size of the letter "M" in the current font."

which apparently wasn't to your liking.

And still, as I said, the typography books I've consulted
(publiched in the 1990ies), also refer to "em" as the width of
an "M".  The "(nominal) square" (or however one should translate
the term "fyrkant", is bigger than an em, so calling it
an "em square" is a misnomer.  Though quite expectable
given the flora of different definitions of "em".

		Kind regards
		/kent k